Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Who Needs Photoshop When You've Got Clipart?

So as you all must know, I am an extremely diligent worker at my prestigious summer job working with the University Apartments North office. Today I was honored with the task of creating an exciting new flyer informing the residents of an apartment building that their roof was about to undergo construction and that they should avoid the area until construction is complete.

This was the first draft.
Click to enlarge. And you better enlarge, I didn't waste all this time making it so that you could just glance over it and not read all the fine print.
Then I thought I would go with something more relatable to college students.
This is the second draft.
The text box is supposed to say "And donkeys and elephants will dislike you."
The animal clipart came up under my search for "party," so I really had no choice but to include it. With this draft the worry was that people might get confused and go to the roof in anticipation for a party rather than avoid it under penalty of potential injury. Also around this time I ran out of ideas so in my third draft I relied heavily on clipart.
And then I made the mistake of showing my bosses my masterpieces. Oh sure, they were all admiration and appreciative laughter, but when it came time to make a thousand copies to be distributed throughout the building, things suddenly weren't so funny anymore.
Oh they were nice enough, complimenting me on "thinking outside the box," and gently suggesting that my way with words (and clipart) might just be "too abstract for all the international students," but what it really all meant was just that MY FLYERS WERE REJECTED.

So this is what all my drafts led up to:

And then I was like, well someone has to appreciate all my hard work. So here it is. Let the compliments roll in, people. I'M WAITING.

1 comment:

  1. redonkulous I say!
    always thinking outside the box haha
    i want jack in a box now =[

    ReplyDelete