Saturday, August 29, 2009

Home Sweet Home

A collection of gems garnered from living at home:

Mom, coming into my room -- I already know what to expect because earlier Iz mentioned to me that our mom was asking why I was acting "funny" recently-- I'm not: Hi.
Me, sitting on my bed trying to hide my blog homepage so my mom doesn't get curious and, god forbid, READ IT: Oh, hello there.
Mom, flopping onto my bed in a strangely conspiratorial manner: So, what's up?
Me, warily: Nothing. We just went to yoga and had dinner together. What's up with you?
Mom: Oh, nothing... your memory foam mattress is nice, isn't it?
Me, genuinely enthused: Oh my god I love it.
Mom: Yeah, why do they call it memory foam? I slept in your room a couple of times and I was trying to sleep lightly so I wouldn't make an imprint in my shape.
Me, amused and touched, but also worried that she thought I would be spending a significant amount of time sleeping in this bedroom: It's okay, mom, you definitely spend more time here than I do.
Mom, shaking her head rigorously: No, no, no, it's your bed.
Me, figuring this is a conversation that can be saved for a later time, when my memory foam is out of the range of fire: Okay. Sure. What's up?
Mom, looking down: Nothing.. just feel like you've been distant lately.
Me: Really? I'm living here. I'm here every night. We just went to yoga together.


Mom, glaring at my open drawers:
WHY ARE YOUR DRAWERS OPEN? Why do you have this habit? Do you want it to look like robbers have been through your room??
Me: Mom, calm down. I was looking for --
Mom: NO MORE OF THIS. From now on every time you leave a drawer open I will fine you ONE DOLLAR.
Me, bursting into laughter: Okay, mom.
Mom, laughing as she leaves the room: I'm serious.
Isabel, wandering in: It's okay, mom had the exact same talk with me. My room got robbed too.

Dad, in the car: Wow, time passes so fast.
Me: Yup.
Dad: Imagine, this time next year, you'll have graduated and be back living at home.
Me, in my head: WTF
Me, out loud: Mm...
Dad: Unless, of course, you get a job in LA.. I mean, it could happen.
Me, immensely relieved: Yeah, you know, if I could get a job anywhere I should probably take it.
Dad: Yeah, hopefully you'll get a job here though.
Me: Uh huh. Or L.A. Probably L.A. That's where I go to school, so it'll probably be easier. For me. To find a job. In L.A.
Dad: Maybe..
Me: Yeah. L.A.

Me: I'm going on a diet.
Dad: You don't need a diet.
Me: I do, it's diet time.
Mom, clapping: Yay! Now you'll be the best! And pretty.
Me: Well, I'm done with dinner.

1 comment:

  1. oh carolynnn. I totally feel you. I have the same conversations with my parents and it drives me nuts and I am so determined to move out and live on my own even if I end up back in the bay. You don't need to diet, you don't need to live at home. You do what YOU want, parents don't necessarily know what's best for us.

    ReplyDelete