Monday, August 17, 2009

Now This is Love. I Think. Well At Least I Know I Want an Infinity Pool When I Grow Up.

So if the topic of early 2000s tv shows has ever come up in conversation between you and I, you may already know this: I'm like obsessed with The O.C. Yeah, I know. But the thing about it is it's a really strangely specific obsession. Let me take you through the history of this love affair.

I didn't watch The O.C. when it was on tv. I was in middle school for the most of it and I was totally anti-pop culture back then. Like, I made it a point to avoid popular things because I was cool like that. Actually I think I was a way cooler person back then. Because now I am blogging about a tv show that ended three years ago. Where was I?

Right. So how do I say this... the show has been over since 2006, there were 4 seasons and (only) 92 episodes, and yet I haven't finished the series yet. I started watching in 2006.

Yeah..

So the weird thing about my long-term relationship with The O.C. is that I totally love it but I don't go near it unless I am going through traumatic life-changing experiences. Time for a timeline? Why yes, yes it is.

Timeline of Carolyn's Longest Relationship To Date
End of 2006/beginning of 2007: My love affair with The O.C. begins. I had started college and was dealing with all of the unfamiliarity (what is frat row and why does it always smell like pee?), on top of which I had just broken up with my high school boyfriend (what do you mean you joined a frat? also, what is it with you guys and pee?) I get through maybe the first or second season before I find out that college is fun and also, finals? Yeah, does not leave a lot of time for plowing through a teenage drama.

End of 2007/beginning of 2008: It's winter break and all my friends are out of town for a week, so I rekindle my friendship with Ryan, Seth, Summer and Marissa. Then my real friends come back and I leave those four somewhere near the end of Season 2.

Summer 2008: This on/off relationship is definitely on. I'm in England (Cambridge, to be specific) for a 5 week study abroad program, and apparently it rains a lot here. In between classes I introduce my floormate to the wonders of Orange County and we begin from the beginning. We get the furthest yet -- to the middle of the third season. Yeah, did I mention it rains a lot?

Summer 2009: Ah, present day. I have a lot of off time because my job hates me and tries to cut my shifts so I don't get paid the astronomical amount of $9.75 an hour. I gravitate back to my old habit, spurred on by the dread inherent in the knowledge that in a few short days I will be back in my hometown, living under my parents' roof and all my fun will be limited to what is technically thought of as "legal." Yet at this juncture I'm feeling a strange reluctance, and I realize that my slow progression through this show could be attributed to the fact that I'm completely in denial that this show has ever ended.

?: I finish all 92 episodes of The O.C. and realize that I have nothing to live for any longer. No, I don't have issues. I guess the point of this entire post is just that, uhm, well... okay yeah I was just procrastinating. I only have four episodes left, I have to do something to delay time.

1 comment:

  1. don't worry darling, there is plenty of tv left to wallow in (if you should need it again).

    ReplyDelete