Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Happy Birthday, Iz.

Five reasons I'm moderately glad not to be an only child:

5. I have a travel buddy. One of my first memories of Iz and I in Taiwan (3rd and 4th grades, respectively) is when we first got to the airport. Now, I hope the fact that we'd just been on a plane for 12 straight hours excuses this, but while our mom was waiting in line for customs Iz and I sat on the floor and sang the "who wears short shorts?" song for like thirty minutes non-stop. (Answer: "I WEAR SHORT SHORTS).

4. I have someone to spit on. One of Iz's favorite childhood memories (I'm sure) is from when we were little, like in elementary school, and she was bothering me while I was reading (this is how most our childhood memories start out). She kept talking and talking and moving closer and closer as she did so that eventually and inevitably my face was speckled with her spit. This did not please tweenage-Carolyn, so very naturally I reacted by holding her down and spitting on her face. Justice was served.

3. I'm relatively normal, as children go. My mom stayed home with us up until about when Iz started kindergarten. Let me just say, Iz was the clingiest baby ever. And only to my mom. Like to the point where she would cry if my mom left her alone with my dad. It was sad, and also made people suspect my dad was a baby-abuser. Anyway, when my mom started work we'd be at home with a babysitter or whatever from when school let out to when she got home after work. Iz would go lie on my parents' bed and bury her face in my mom's pajamas and sob until my mom got home. Sometimes she would switch things up by calling my mom's office (I'm pretty sure that's the first phone number she ever memorized) and sob into the phone until my mom was forced to hang up because her boss was looking at her like she'd just murdered a puppy over the telephone line.

2. I'm a comparably good spellur speller. We were playing the Naked Game a year or so ago and Iz wrote "surades." The person who got the word paused the game ("what's ... sur.. ah.. days?") so that she could explain to us that she meant "charades."

And..

1.
Two words: penis hat.


Happy birthday, Iz.

3 comments:

  1. 4. this still happens from time to time right? (not the spitting part of course) XDDDD

    2. if i was right that was our freshman year of college. wow!! time really flies

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG is this why you wanted that picture? I didn't even know about this post until today when I had time to do my carolyn blog check :P hehee

    ReplyDelete