Monday, February 14, 2011

Two Valentine's Day Plays

Play 1: For the Love of a Car

Scene 1

Carolyn (Monologue): Through a series of unfortunate events this past weekend, none of which were any fault of my own, I managed to pull the front bumper halfway off Brian's car. After twenty minutes of whimpering and frantic pushing, I managed to get it almost back in place. I finally told Brian what happened (his first question upon seeing his car, "So, how long did you stand here before coming to get me?") but try as we might, the bumper refused to budge the last inch and mold back into the car's original shape.

Scene 2

Carolyn, on phone to Crown Coachworks Bodyshop (Yelp's highest rated bodyshop in West Los Angeles): Hello, I was driving my friend's car this weekend and accidentally pulled the bumper partway off.

CCB Rep: Alright, bring it in.

Carolyn: Any idea how much it'll be to fix..?

CCB Rep: We really would have to take a look.

Scene 3

Text messages.

Brian: It's going to be $780. And it'll take 3 days.

Carolyn: WHAT??? WHY???????? I hope you want fish sticks for dinner because we are never going to a restaurant again.

Brian: Maybe you should text Carlos.

Scene 4

Carolyn (Monologue): Carlos is my extremely tall and attractive mechanic. He once fixed three separate problems in my car in a single week. And for the last issue, he only charged me for the part because he felt so guilty about not catching it at the beginning. I love Carlos.

Text messages.

Carolyn: CARLOS do you fix bumpers?????

Carlos: Sure, bring it in.

Scene 5

Phone call.

Brian: My car will be ready at 7.

Carolyn: Carlos had time today?? How much is it going to cost?

Brian: Sixty dollars.

Carolyn: I love Carlos.

Brian: Me too.



Play 2: You Make My Heart Fly

Scene 1

Sunday, February 13th. Morning. Text message.

Isabel: Dad, don't forget tomorrow is Valentine's day!

Dad: Got it!

Scene 2

Sunday, February 13th. Early afternoon.

Dad: Your daughters keep calling me to remind me that it's Valentine's day.

Mom: Oh, really?

Dad: Yeah. So... do you want... flowers...?

Mom: .....no, it's okay.

Scene 3

Sunday, February 13th. Later afternoon. At the Dollar Store.

Mom, putting items on conveyer belt: This should be it. Do we need detergent?

She turns around to see Dad standing there with two heart shaped helium balloons.

Mom: What are you doing?

Dad: Should I get these for you?

Mom: ....no, it's okay.

Scene 4

Phone conversation.

Isabel: And that's how mom and dad spent Valentine's day.

1 comment: